Cochrane Australia has a strong reputation nationally and internationally for its work in evidence synthesis and implementation science. Our expertise includes literature searching, critical appraisal and risk of bias, methods of statistical and narrative synthesis, complex reviews and using GRADE principles to interpret evidence and derive recommendations. We have extensive experience in writing and editing Cochrane systematic reviews, summarising evidence in various formats, and producing guidance for policy makers.
We provide evidence services in the following areas:
- systematic reviews and meta-analysis
- overviews of systematic reviews
- methodological reviews of systematic reviews, overviews and guidelines
- critical appraisal of systematic reviews (ROBIS) and guidelines (AGREE)
- use of GRADE to derive recommendations
- designing and evaluating strategies to increase uptake of evidence into practice and policy
Completed evidence service projects
In the past three years we have been contracted by various groups, including that National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) and the Australian Commission on Safety and Quality in Health Care (ACSQHC), to produce the following:
- scoping literature review of implementation initiatives and interventions to improve care of women with heavy menstrual bleeding (for ACSQHC)
- methodolgocial review of the clinical practice guideline 'Deprescribing cholinesterase inhibitors and memantine in people with dementia'
- two systematic reviews for the Australian Guidelines for the Prevention and Control of Infection in Healthcare
- implementation strategy planning for ACSQHC Clinical Care Standards
- systematic review of safe level of gluten for people with coeliac disease (for Coeliac Australia)
- overview report of systematic reviews that include studies of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander populations
- AGREE appraisal of the clinical practice guideline 'Secondary prevention of vascular disease in type 2 diabetes'
- methodological review of the clinical practice guideline 'PSA testing and early management of test-detected prostate cancer'
- introduction to GRADE and its application in reviews without meta-analysis (for School of Health Sciences, RMIT University)
- updated systematic review (in partnership with Monash Centre for Occupational and Environmental Health) of additional evidence on wind farms and human health (to inform an NHMRC Information Paper)
- methodological review of the Homeopathy Overview (to inform an NHMRC Information Paper)
- overviews of aromatherapy, naturopathy and herbalism (as part of the review of the Australian Government Rebate on Private Health Insurance for Natural Therapies).
Education and training
As well as producing or reviewing evidence syntheses, we also provide tailored training and education opportunities. In the past two years we have run sessions on:
- commissioning systematic reviews
- conducting, appraising and interpreting systematic reviews
- applying GRADE and creating summary of findings tables
- undertaking complex reviews and overviews of systematic reviews
- advanced search techniques for systematic reviews and other evidence appraisals
We have provided training for the following organisations: Alfred Health, Australian Commission on Safety and Quality in Health Care (ACSQHC), Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA), Dairy Australia, Food Standards Australia New Zealand (FSANZ), National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) and National Prescribing Service (NPS).
Our capacity to provide evidence services is dependent on current workloads. To find out if we can help with your evidence synthesis needs, please contact Steve McDonald (firstname.lastname@example.org or 03 9903 0370) or Sally Green (email@example.com or 03 9903 0945).